Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Good Dream; Donna VanLiere

 
Author:  Donna Van Liere
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: St. Martins Press
Edition: Hardcover
Setting:  Tennessee, 1950
Source: PBS/ personal copy
Date Completed: September/2012
Rating: 4.5/5
Recommend:  yes

 Set in 1950 back roads Tennessee, Ivorie Walker was the youngest child of the family, born years after her (6) brothers when her mother was 42. Ivorie's mom was always trying to find her a man, because at 29 she was considered an old maid. Her mother passed away just a month before Ivorie's 30th birthday and she died with a terrible regret  -- one which isn't revealed until toward the end of the story.

After her mother and father are gone our protagonist works as a teacher, and tends to her garden, canning the produce and giving most away to friends and neighbors. Her dog Sally isn't quiet enough to fend off her loneliness she sometimes feels.   She has a big heart and plenty of love to spread around.  When a feral young boy is found foraging for food in her garden, she tries to befriend him.  She quickly sees signs of abuse and neglect on the boy who has been living in the hills--- his body has fresh scars.  Who is responsible and who and where is his family? She is determined to rescue the boy who she learns later was named Peter.

For 1950, Ivorie was a strong, independent woman determined to do the right thing for this boy.  I can't say this novel is a light read as the subject matter is painful at times. It's the type of story that is bound to bring a tear or two to the eyes of some readers.  It's one of those books that you'll want to read in one sitting once you begin.  The author makes the story flow perfectly and even throws in a surprise for the reader toward the end about the regret Ivorie's mother took to her grave.  The story is believable and seems realistic of how I imagined small town life in the South to be like at that time.  If I had one minor complaint, it was that to me it seemed as if the feral boy, came around rather quickly in learning to trust Ivorie considering all he had been though.  Despite that it's a wonderful, hopeful story and a book that is worth reading.

If you are not familiar with this author, a few of her other books which I enjoyed in previous years were, The Christmas Shoes, which was also a movie,  The Christmas Secret and The Christmas Hope.

13 comments:

  1. It definitely speaks well for a book when you want to read it in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making a note of this author. I'd certainly like to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound good. I can see where you would expect a boy like that to take a while to trust anyone but that would probably make the book too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I've wanted to read a book straight through. Not familiar with this author at all. Taking note now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book for group discussion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH Tennessee, I may need that on my world map.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound like a wonderful story! Your review is terrific, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this one before but I am definitely thinking it sounds like a must-read! Great review, my lady Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard of this book and am now adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the whole premise of this book and even though the subject matter might be a bit hard at times, this sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like one that might make a good book club choice. Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that cover and it sounds like a comfort read somehow, abuse nothwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.