Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.  Care to join us? Feel free to grab the image and link your post below.

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that I got from the library. It was published in December of 2012.



Chinese Whiskers; Pallavi Aiyar
(St. Martin's Press)

Stalking Dragonflies
"A beam of hot sun leaked through the leaves of the tree I was crouching under. My nose twitched. I badly needed to sneeze. But I forced myself to ignore the itch and focus on the prey in sight. Stalking was serious business after all. I held my crouch, frozen like a stone.
The buzzing of the dragonfly was deliciously exciting. I moved an inch closer and then another inch, until it was hovering directly above me, darting in and out of a bamboo thicket, totally unaware that I was so close. It was a perfect setup. I wanted to leap high, higher than I ever had before, up into the white sky and pluck it out of the air.

But just at the moment I was readying to launch, Ma’s penetrating meow called me back for a lunchtime feed and sent the dragonfly gliding away from my outstretched claws. In a flash it had disappeared over the grey brick walls of the courtyard.

I had been trying to catch a dragonfly from the time my eyes had opened. It was much harder than it sounded and no matter how silently I stalked or how quickly I jumped, I had always failed.

Ma told me to be patient. I was still too young she said."

What do you think? Would you keep reading or move on to something else? Want to join in? Please add your link below.



11 comments:

  1. I like the suspense and the visual images of the opening lines. And how cute to enter a cat's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a title that is new to me. The opening paragraphs hooked me...I'd definitely want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it even more when I realized it is from the cat's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to keep reading this one. It sounds too precious to put aside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover grabbed me. Then to hear the cat's perspective, you bet I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's hilarious! I once read a book told from the perspective of a dog! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written but not my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not fond of stories written from the perspective of animals, but the writing is lovely.

    My post is now finished and ready to be read. Thanks for coming by and waking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was several paragraphs, but I did like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great intro and has me wondering about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.