Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday; The Translator; Nina Schuyler


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. This week's pick:




July 1, 2013 - Pegasus Books
 
“Schuyler writes with piercing intelligence and real insight into the complex worlds of literary translation and human relationships.” — Ellen Sussman, author of the New York Times bestselling novel, French Lessons 

In silken prose and with subtle suspense, Nina Schuyler brings us a mesmerizing novel of language and translation, memory loss and heartbreak, and the search for answers in a foreign country. When renowned translator Hanne Schubert falls down a flight of stairs, her injury is an unusual but real condition — the loss of her native language. She is left speaking only Japanese, a language learned later in life. With her personal life at a crossroad, Hanne leaves for Japan. There, the Japanese novelist whose work she translated stunningly confronts her publicly for sabotaging his work. Reeling, Hanne struggles for meaning and seeks out the inspiration for the author’s novel — a tortured, chimerical actor, once a master in the art of Noh theater. Through their passionate and intriguing relationship, Hanne begins to understand the masks she has worn in her life, just as the actor dons the masks that have made him a legend of Noh.  The demons from her past and present begin to unfold and Hanne sets out to make amends in this searing and engrossing novel.

13 comments:

  1. You had me at "silken prose." This one sounds unique and captivating.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a good read to me! I must devour on this one! Awesome pick!


    Check out my Wating on Wednesday pick!

    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sucked in...going on my list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an amazing book, Diane! I'll be on the look-out for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of another book, that I read long ago, but it sounds better! I am intrigued by how she loses her native language and only holds on to a foreign tongue. This is one that I need to read. Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very good, Diane, worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds really interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh...this one sounds like it could be very good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, everyone is right, sounds darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of a novel I read a couple of years ago called The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai. It too involves the intriguing concept of the loss of native language ability after injury.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.