Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First Chapter ~First paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Translator; Nina Schuyler

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that I am hoping to start soon:


Pegasus - July 1, 2013

Chapter 1

Standing in the kitchen munching on pickled cucumbers, watching a stray dog pee in his yard, Jiro hears something crash into the garage door. The entire house trembles as if it were about to fall off its foundation.

He runs down the hall and yanks open the door.  The electric garage door is broken, boards desperately clinging to the frame.  Fragments of glass shimmer on the cement car port.  The black Honda's engine is still sputtering, spilling gassy blue smoke from the exhaust pipe.  And there is his wife, sitting rigidly in the driver's seat at a forward tilt, staring straight ahead, as if she is pondering whether to plow into the wall. 

What do you think? Would you keep reading?  Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh this does sound interesting! I would definitely continue to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would read on...The title and cover intrigue me as I read a lot of translated books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. I would continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I'd keep going. I want to know: What in the world is wrong with the wife?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd keep reading... I want to know what's wrong with the wife, too. Very appealing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want to know what just happened...and what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is definitely an engaging intro! Yep, keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound somewhat interesting but isn't very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover doesn't at all match the opening paragraph for me. I'm assuming the wife is dead, but you never know...and therein lies the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This opening grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly starts with a riveting description. What has happened? I'd read more of The Translator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, I wonder why she did that. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does sound good! I think I forgot to post my link from last week. Oops! Probably better since I didn't get to do any blog hopping last week. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.