Friday, September 6, 2013

3 Delightful Cookbooks for Fall ~ 365 Slow Cooker Suppers ~ Better Homes and Gardens Baking and Fine Cooking Thanksgiving Cookbook


Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - 2013

Fall and Winter means the crock-pot gets used at least 2-3 times a week, so when I saw this book, I was immediately interested.  Oh, yes, my life Mon-Friday just became less complicated if I can get into the groove of starting supper before I walk out of the door in the morning.  Even though there are just (2) of us, I plan to cook for "a family" and freeze for future meals as well.

There is plenty to like about this book. It's divided into sections: soups and stews; beans; beef and lamb; pork , fish and seafood and sandwiches (hmm -- slow cooker sandwiches?)  There are meatless main dishes, a good amount of gluten free selections.

Some of the recipes do require a fair amount of prep work, so not every recipe would be one I could toss together before work, but some of these would be great to try on weekends.  Here are some of the recipes that caught my eye and I plan to try: turkey and stuffing dinner (using drumstick) - yup in the slow cooker. I also liked the sound of: sweet and savory cabbage rolls (this is one that requires a bit of pre work). How about Chinese Pot Roast with Snow peas, or Spanish chicken stew served with quinoa; Wild Mushroom beef stew, Lasagne soup, Chicken Piccata and lots of hearty soup recipes that sounded good as well.

Most every page has terrific color photos, and easy to read text for aging eyes like mine, and a section titled "THE VERDICT", which consists of comments on how the finished product was and how it could be modified in the future.

This is definitely one of those cookbooks that would be used on a regular basis by me, so I am hoping to purchase it when it released at the end of the month. GREAT BOOK


Better Homes and Gardens

WOW, I loved this book, even though, we shouldn't be eating all of this delicious stuff.  This book has "everything" you need to know to whip up some delicious and lovely treats.

The chapters are divided up as follows: techniques; cookoes; bars and brownies; cakes and cupcakes; cheesecakes; down home desserts; artisan breads; quick breads; morning favorites; coffee shop items; holiday baking and weekend baking.

What I loved was that the instructions for each recipe are easy to understand, are presented beautifully (great photos) and like other BH&G Cookbooks, it's easy to be a success in the kitchen.

A few of the recipes I jotted down at first glace were: a classic carrot cake recipe, Bourbon chocolate Tipsy Cake, Island Bananas Foster and a white chocolate and almond pound cake.  That is just the beginning though, there are so many other recipes that are worth trying.

Hope to BUY this one too when it releases on October 3rd. LOVED IT!


Fine Cooking Thanksgiving Cookbook
Recipes for Turkey and all of the Trimmings
Taunton Press

I always wanted an all-encompassing cookbook with favorites for Thanksgiving, so I was happy I got a chance to read/review this one.  I am happy to say that I liked it so much that I ordered a print copy (which arrived today) and it was less than $10.00 on Amazon. I Love it.

From the editors of Fine Cooking Magazine, this book was originally released in 2012.  Some of the topics covered in this one are: avoiding dinner disasters (like a frozen bird); helpful techniques; make a head strategies; (6) different ways to cook a turkey; leftover and recipe options and a baking section.

There are lots of appetizers to try: I'm planning on trying: Crostini with Beef and horseradish cream, and a Cranberry and Pear salsa from this book. I also will experiment with a few new sides before Thanksgiving and a Triple Chocolate Cheesecake.

There are also plenty of soups, salads and gravies; many veggie dishes and sides; different kinds of potato, stuffing and gravy options and desserts to die for -- pies, tarts and more.  I liked the section on "continuing the feast", with plenty of ideas for leftovers as well.

Great illustrations and simple to understand recipes for even novice cooks. Worth Buying.

thanks to NetGalley and publishers for eGalley previews of each book

7 comments:

  1. Every time I see posts about cookbooks, I think of all the cookbooks I haven't fully explored. These ones look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughingly sometimes say that "I lost my crockpot in the divorce." There's a story there, but seriously, I've been meaning to buy another one...I get tired of those microwaveable meals, or the already prepared soups, etc.

    Time to "woman" up and get a new one. Long overdue. Looks like a great cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can whip up a multi-course meal but when it comes to baking I am totally inept... maybe BH&G could help me! That Thanksgiving book sounds good. I usually cook for that holiday and could use a little variety, the menu is getting old.

    It must be cooling off if you're reading cookbooks. It's still unbelievably hot in the Midwest. Summer finally arrived last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought it interesting too, that they have a sandwich section for slow-cookers. Try one and let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie O'Dea's new cook book will be a 'must buy' for me. I love my slow cooker and have had very good luck with her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love cookbooks and we're entering the perfect season to pull out the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of Better Homes recipes in general so 350 baking recipes sounds dangerously amazing. I may have to pick this one up and I'll be blaming you for the extra poundage I put on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.