Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday ~ Our Picnics in the Sun; Morag Joss

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine.  Bloggers spotlight upcoming releases that they are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine.This weeks pick is something from an author I've enjoyed in the past.


November 26, 2013
Random House (Bantam)

Award-winning author Morag Joss has penned a beautifully rendered, meticulously crafted, and terrifyingly gripping novel of suspense—ideal for the fans of Eowyn Ivey, Ruth Rendell, and Barbara Vine.

One night, two strangers.
A damage that cannot be undone.

For thirty years, Howard and Deborah Morgan have poured all their energy and modest savings into Stoneyridge, a smallholding deep in the English moors. Howard putters with pottery, Deborah dabbles in weaving, and both struggle to tend sheep and chickens and live off the land. But what began with simple dreams of solitude and sunlit picnics in the hills has given way to a harsher reality.

To help with finances, they decide to turn Stoneyridge into a bed-and-breakfast. But a sudden stroke leaves Howard incapacitated and Deborah overwhelmed. Howard’s world, once so limitless, has shrunk to the confines of their crumbling house; Deborah’s main joy now comes in the form of a brief weekly email from their successful son, who lives abroad.

Then, late one evening, two men arrive needing a room for the night—and set off a chain of events that uncovers the relics of old tragedies. New wounds are cut deep, betrayals and cruelties intermix with tenderness and love. And through it all, Stoneyridge quietly hides the bitter and transformative truth.

Evocative, intimately claustrophobic, and psychologically complex, Our Picnics in the Sun is a novel of stunning prose and knife-sharp insight. Morag Joss crafts a modern masterpiece of rising tension that binds and releases like a beating heart, propelling readers to a final page that resonates and haunts.

13 comments:

  1. Author and title new to me! Thanks for putting both on my radar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing read, Diane. I'm putting this one on my TBR list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    My WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/09/waiting-on-wednesday-new-jd-robb-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this one sounds so good! I haven't posted a WOW today...too lazy?

    But I love adding new books to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one before but it sure sounds like something I would like. I like the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, how interesting! I read The Snow Child earlier this year and liked it. This has that sort of quiet creepiness going on. I never heard of this author so thanks for pointing them out to me. I will check the book out further and might add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book-to-be is new to me. I hope you will enjoy it, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds such an interesting story, looking forward to hearing what you think of it. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard about this one but it sounds good. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, yes. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.