Tuesday, February 18, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - Fractures; Lamar Herrin

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? Today's pick is a book that released in 2013.

Fractures; Lamar Herrin
Thomas Dunne Books - Macmillan
Nov-2013

PART ONE
THE JOYNERS

"On an April day in 1970, when most of his fellow architecture students were taking their spring break, Frank Joyner drew a Gillette razor blade across his left wrist with one express purpose in mind: he wanted to see if, when the blood appeared, he was willing to let it flow, or if, in fact, he wanted to live.  On hand he had a stack of gauze pads, an Ace bandage, a leather belt he'd tested on his forearm and then punched a new hole in that could serve as a tourniquet.  In an anatomy book he'd checked out of the library, he'd read that the veins running down his wrist would yield, if cut, a dark blood, which would only ooze out, and that gauze pressed down beneath the Ace bandage would be sufficient to stop it.  Flanking the veins and deeper set, were the radial and ulnar arteries, and these would yield a bright red blood in a pulsating flow, which would take a tourniquet, in addition to the gauze and bandage, to stop.  The arteries brought blood from the heart, oxygenated to that brighter red as it passed through the lungs; after its long, wearing trip through the body, the veins brought the blood back."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   
What do you think? Would you keep reading? 
Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

27 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this book, so yes, I'd keep reading. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting book. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, certainly interesting. Several ways the story can go from here. working in the medical field, it reads not too creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Diane. It's not my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could continue reading it, like Mystica said, it is to creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I'd keep going -- I might read another paragraph or two, but this doesn't sound like it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take a pass on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like risky behavior. I want to know more, so yes, I'd keep reading....at least for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that's quite an intro. Sounds like this could be a depressing book, but I'm still very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first line is simple yet graphic. I don't think I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that certainly puts you in the mood... not sure I would go on

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to read a bit more....

    Here is my Tuesday Intros post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure about this one...I'd have to read a bit more before I committed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He seems very thorough in his research. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just realized I put up two links ... the first one is from a couple of weeks ago and can be deleted. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doesn't really creep me out, but makes me curious as to the why he would do all the research and then actually try the razor. There must be more to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That certainly is a captivating opening, but... will it be too uncomfortable to read on, that's the rub. I know it's intriguing, prodding one to go on to find out more. That for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I likely would read on, at least for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The intro has me wondering about the book. If it is filled with family drama, I'm all in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well that is one way to find out how strong your survival instinct is. I'd keep reading to find out what he does...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ouch. I would keep reading. I can't imagine doing something like that as an experiment, especially when the result might be death.

    ReplyDelete
  22. no-I think I would have to stop right there. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know about this one. I'd need to know a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd have to keep reading to find out what it was that possessed him to do something so rash and foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I'm definitely curious! That opening paragraph really grabbed me. I'm wondering what happens to Frank and what happens in the rest of the book. So. I guess I'd have to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.