Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Descent; Tim Johnston

Descent; Tim Johnston
Algonquin - 2015

In some ways this thriller seemed like a story that has been told before, but it was more than your run of the mill mystery.

The Courtland family is taking a last minute family vacation in the Rocky Mountains, right before their daughter Caitlan is to leave home for college. One morning Caitlan, a track star, sets out for a run and younger brother Sean 15, rides ahead on his bike on a somewhat deserted road. Sean is hit by a car, injured and with no cellphone in their possession to call for help, Caitlan reluctantly agrees to accept a ride to get help for her brother, but instead is abducted.  Meanwhile, someone else gets Sean help and, in the hospital he has no memory of the accident. When the parents are contacted and ask about their daughter, the sherrif is puzzled.

The rest of this thriller deals with how the rest of the already fractured family copes over a three year period.  The father, Grant, drinks too much and has been unfaithful to wife Angela in the past. Angela comes across as a weak woman, but she still carries guilt issues from a childhood tragedy, and now her daughter is missing. Brother Sean, feels plenty of responsibility for his sister's disappearance since it was his accident that set the abduction in motion.

The story unravels slowly with the accident and abduction happening early on, The personal guilt and the effects on each family member seemed realistic enough, but I actually wanted to read more about Caitlan's ordeal.  The author is slow to reveal her torment, so the tension builds and builds.

I enjoyed this thriller; it held my interest, but would have preferred more of a focus on Caitlan and less on the personal pain of her family at times. If you like thrillers, try this one and decide.

4/5 stars
eGalley

22 comments:

  1. I *loved* this book! It was one of my top reads last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I liked it a lot, but don't think it'll make my top list.

      Delete
  2. I didn't get very far with this one...for some reason I just couldn't connect with the writing style. But, I know lots of people really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I read several reviews and it does seem to be a love it of dump it read for many. I was kind of even most of the way, but my coworker dumped it early on.

      Delete
  3. This one has been on my radar since pre-publication. Thanks for the review--I'm looking forward to reading it.

    My Wednesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/07/waiting-on-wednesday-coming-of-age-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that sounds scary in a good way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a book blogger but I do read some blogs and this is one of them. I just had to comment this morning, I absolutely loved Descent. I could not get this family out of my mind for weeks after reading this one! I really do not know what it was but it just got a hold of me. I thought it was terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argie, thanks for commenting, and so happy that you liked this one so much.

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy reading your reviews. "Descent" sounds interesting. My list just keeps getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd like it to have more of Caitlan too. I may add this to my list, not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really think that one sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be on the lookout for this one. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got this one in print and audio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I'd want more of the focus on Caitlan's ordeal too. Sounds pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.